Friday, February 18, 2011

Organically Inclined


Not sold on Organic Foods

I have always been VERY skeptical about organic foods.  I used to think that it was just another way to get more money out of us.  I also know a few people who buy organic food and spend more money than they would otherwise pay.  After doing the research for this article I am convinced that organic foods are the way to go.  I hope you will be convinced, too.  There are so many benefits to going organic!
Conventional crops are grown by swelling the food with water.  Organic crops have more food to them.  American nutritionist Virginia Worthington has proven that organic foods can help you consume the recommended amount of nutrients that you otherwise may not get.
The mainstream food industry claims that the levels of pesticide residues in our non-organic food are very low and within acceptable safety limits.  Monitoring programs consistently shows that around one in three non-organic food samples tested contains a variety of pesticide residues, with less residues being found in organic food.  There are many symptoms that come from too much pesticide residue: headaches, tremor, depression, poor memory, convulsions, nausea, and many more.  
Children are more susceptible to toxins because of their developing organs, brains, and immune systems, plus their larger intake of food.  A study was done between two villages, one in which pesticides were used in farming; the other village did not use pesticides.  Everything else was the same between the two villages: genes, diet, lifestyle, climate, culture, etc. The study found huge differences between the two groups in both mental and motor abilities. The children who were exposed to pesticides scored at a much lower level. They were also more aggressive in behavior than the children who were not exposed to pesticides. Is this what you want for your children?
An observational study showed that boarding school students eating mostly organic foods for three years experienced a “very marked decline” in colds and influenza, more rapid convalescence, great health, fewer sports injuries, a greater resilience to fractures and sprains, clear and healthy skin, and improved dental health. I think those are ALL good enough reasons to eat organic foods.
5.     

Healthier for Everyone and Everything

Organic foods are better for the environment
Chemically dependent agriculture harms the environment and puts our health at risk. Pesticides and fertilizers are washed into our waterways, destroying animal habitats and contaminating our drinking water. Organic farming removes synthetic chemicals from the air, soil, and water.  

5 comments:

  1. Very true! I used to be skeptical too. Not to mention organic costs so much more! Junk is cheap. After watching the documentary "Food Inc." I resolved never to complain about the price of organic, grass fed, natural, etc... I understand why they cost more and I am willing to make that adjustment in my budget :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad! Today I went to Wallmart and while I was in there I looked for Organic Chocolate :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. ... I didn't find any by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me know if you do! Chocolate is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whole Foods, always worth the trip to find good chocolate! Great post Christen. Most people just don't know.

    ReplyDelete